Thursday, July 7, 2011

Prop Macaroons

Another piece of prop food from "The Crowd You're in With" was a tupperware full of macaroons.  Because macaroons have a rough pointed texture I thought I might try more of the pre-mixed paper mache I had used for my failed severed head.  For that project the paper mache had been too sticky and I couldn't get the smooth finish when I wanted it. For this project, the rough spikey surface was exactly what I was looking for.
The paper mache I used is called Celluclay. I picked it up on sale when I was working on the head for around $6  and still had plenty left for this project and more in the future). I know paper mache can be almost free if I made it myself, but for the convenience of having everything already mixed and shredded down to a fine powder, when I don't have a blender at home, buying the mix was totally worth it.
I mixed the power with water and formed about a dozen cookie-sized balls. I could have completely let them air dry, but to speed the process I put them in the oven for about an hour on the lowest temperature. The oven didn't dry them all the way through (that still took about a day) but it gave them a good head start and made them solid enough that I didn't have to worry about ruining them as I moved other things around in my kitchen.
I dusted them with a sand colored spray paint, then with some glossy wood tone (If I could do it again I would skip the sand-colored spray, they turned out a bit too dark for me),
and placed them in a tupperware. From a distance they look pretty tasty.


No comments:

Post a Comment