Monday, October 25, 2010

Another Magic Wand

This magic wand is for Glinda in the Wizard of Oz.
The director wanted it to be larger, almost like a baton, but still magical, and sparkly.

I used this wand as my inspiration.

For the base of the wand I bought a short, thin copper tube from Home Depot.
I added a plastic prism I bought at the craft store to the end and secured it with epoxy putty.


After securing the stone I wired up the circuit. I used a 3V watch battery, a small toggle switch and a large LED bulb. I made sure I had long leads on the wires to and from the bulb so that the switch and battery could be on the bottom of the wand and the bulb could go as far up the tube as possible. When I flip the switch, the LED lights up the entire prism and the the glow looks almost magical, because you can't see the light source. 
To get the natural vine look on the outside I used layers of hot glue.
And I used a large amount of hot glue at the end to secure my switch and to help hide the switch and battery.
After that I painted the entire thing gold and added some more rhinestones (because who doesn't want more sparkle)



Here's the full finished wand, I know I would have wanted one when I was ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment